I recently listened to a talk by Judith Hanson Lasater, where she spoke about effectively teaching beginners. In this talk one of her points was that as a teacher we should have our teaching values clear in our minds, to be able to utilise them in the class setting. This got me thinking! What are my teaching values?
I believe that teaching values are always evolving. When you first finish your yoga teacher training the main focus is on being able to safely deliver a class that is interesting and your students enjoy. As the skill of delivering a class develops and becomes more natural, I have been thinking more about how I am teaching, what are my intentions, how can I keep my teaching moving forward, whilst remaining true to my own values?
Judith Hanson Lasater encourages us to come up with 5-7 teaching values, so here are mine!! (In no particular order)
- Always aim to encourage students to challenge themselves and build confidence.
- Teach individually, within a group, creating inclusion, integration and connection.
- Always be mindful and teach with kindness and compassion.
- Teach authentically, allowing my individuality as a teacher to shine through.
- Keep a beginners mind! We are all learning together (I just happen to be leading the sequence – I learn as much from my students as I do in my own practice)
- Allow students to make their own discoveries, explorations and connections.
- Keep it fun!!